Image of Dean Sharon Matusik next to "Michigan Ross" lettering

April Message from the Dean

Dear colleagues,

What an exciting time of year!  I look forward to seeing many of you at tomorrow’s Michigan Ross Commencement. Between our commencement ceremony and the diversity, equity, and inclusion awards event this week, there has been a lot to celebrate. 

I want to thank everyone for all you have done for our graduating students during their time at Ross. It is rare that a day goes by without me hearing from a student about a faculty member, staff, or alumnus who went way above and beyond in interacting with them. Each of these interactions play a role in shaping where our students are today. I am very proud of the accomplishments and character of our students, and so much of who they now are is because of all that you have put into making their student experience at Ross exceptional. 

I also want to say congratulations again to all who were honored at our DEI awards event on Monday. It was an honor to celebrate the very important research that our faculty and students are conducting to advance our fundamental understanding of diversity, equity, and inclusion. This year we also launched a new award category to spotlight staff members who are making valuable contributions to DEI. Those individuals received the inaugural Staff DEI Impact Award. And a special thank you to the many that have been involved in the planning of our graduation and DEI events – there is so much that happens behind the scenes to make these events look seamless. 

Last month, I shared that our task forces completed their recommendations on ideas to further elevate and differentiate Ross through building community among students, faculty, and staff; amplifying the impact of our teaching; and accelerating our research mission. Last week, I had an opportunity to connect with the task force members at a celebratory luncheon and we discussed these ideas in greater detail and have some additional thoughts on next steps. I look forward to sharing more on this in the May Ross Report.   

Along with our faculty and staff input as we look to elevate Ross, it is essential to gather insights from our external stakeholders, such as our Ross School Advisory Board which is comprised of highly accomplished alumni and business leaders from across industries and geographies. In our recent RSAB meeting, we conducted a deep dive with them on their perspectives on what the global business landscape will look like 10 years from now. Brad Killaly, associate dean of FTMBA Programs, facilitated a discussion about these factors and their implications for the future of business education. This work will be helpful to us in our upcoming workshops, in which we will continue to refine strategic priorities for Ross and provide input for the president’s Vision 2034 initiative.  

Lastly, I would like to acknowledge an important change to the academic calendar. Next year’s winter term will begin on Jan. 10, 2024, one week later than originally scheduled. Our Michigan Ross and university commencement activities will move from the last weekend in April to the first weekend in May. These changes were made as a result of feedback from students, faculty, and staff regarding the beneficial impact of having more time in between terms.

In closing, I hope you take a minute to reflect on the positive impact you have had on our students who are walking across the graduation stage later this week. My most sincere gratitude for all you have done to prepare them for their next chapter.

Warm regards,

Sharon

Similar Posts