happy,retirement,on,speech,bubbles

Farewell to Our Retirees

At Michigan Ross, we’re happy to celebrate the staff and faculty in our community who are retiring. After contributing years of service and impactful work to the school, the following individuals have or will be departing for retirement:

Eric Svaan, Lecturer of Technology and Operations (Effective Sept. 1, 2023)
Cheryl Strickland, Area Administrator Supervisor, Faculty Support (Effective Sept. 29, 2023)

Below, our retirees have shared reflections on their time at Michigan Ross and their plans for the future.

woolery eric inf 4684

Eric Svaan

I joined the Michigan Business School faculty for Fall Term 1991. Thirty-two years later, it’s a strange feeling to know that in late summer, classes will start again soon without me. It has been a wonderful privilege to spend my professional life in the University of Michigan community with dedicated staff, brilliant faculty colleagues, and students who come from all over the world to be the Leaders and Best here.

One measure of that privilege is this: I’m pretty sure that nobody has taught as many degree-program students under as many course numbers in as many sections in as many terms as I have. Whatever they may have learned from me, I learned more from them. Thousands of students shared their insights and experiences with me in the classroom, in my office, and in field projects on four continents. Thousands also came to my house for Eric Cooks’ events and brought along some of the people they love. My guest books are in multiple volumes.

Last year, I moved to Grand Haven, drawn by the love for Lake Michigan that my wife Natalie and I share. We’ll spend time there together with our daughters and grandchildren. Go Blue!

cheryl profile pic

Cheryl Strickland

I became a staff member of the University of Michigan on Jan. 2, 1980. In Sept. 1981, I took a new position at the Business School (not yet named the Ross School of Business). It’s been almost 42 years since then, and as Sept. 29 approaches, I’m preparing to celebrate! Throughout my time at Michigan Ross, I’ve seen seven different deans and have formed many friendships.

Looking ahead, I’m ready for a new chapter. I want to spend more time with my family and two Boston Terriers. We’re planning to do more camping and traveling. In my free time I enjoy gardening, crocheting, and doing diamond art.

My years at Michigan Ross have taught me valuable lessons and provided me with unforgettable memories. Now, I’m eager to begin new adventures with my loved ones and pursue my hobbies.

Similar Posts