Image of Dean Sharon Matusik next to "Michigan Ross" lettering

August Message from the Dean

Dear colleagues,

I hope everyone enjoyed the summer. I have very much enjoyed welcoming faculty and students back to campus for the start of the new academic year, despite the internet connectivity issues of the last few days. Thanks to all for your adaptability and help as we sorted out workarounds related to this. 

There are a few things with regard to the launch of the new academic year that I would like to especially highlight. Our program teams have been hard at work these past months planning events to welcome new and returning students to Ross. Starting in late July, the new Executive MBA class kicked off their program in Ann Arbor with a campus tour and dinner at Michigan Stadium. In mid-August, the incoming MAcc class held their orientation in Washington, D.C., combined with a core course taught by Lindsay Gallo that takes students out of the classroom and into the nation’s capitol to study the relationship between public policy and business. On Aug. 19, our new Online MBA students were welcomed back in a virtual event and will soon be joining us on campus for a welcome weekend and tailgate event. Last week, our BBA program hosted a welcome weekend for incoming first-year students focused on collaboration, innovation, and building a sense of community and belonging. It featured a team-based design thinking project, along with the “BBA Games,” which included everything from athletics to art challenges and friendly competitions. At the end of September, these students will also be participating in Night at the Museum at the U-M Museum of Art where they can meet more faculty and staff and continue to get to know each other better. My most sincere thanks to all of you who were involved in these events with our students — I have heard very positive feedback about these activities and their effectiveness in building a sense of community.

As these programs are getting started, I also want to acknowledge the programs which are already in full swing. Our MBAn, MM, and MSCM students began their programs in the summer term and have just recently completed their final exams for this first term if you can believe it.

In addition to our new and returning students, we have a number of new faculty who are joining us for the fall term. Please join me in welcoming Akshina Banerjee, Brian Connolly, Ben Rosa, Edward Kim, Eric Zou, Neroli Austin, Siyu Yu, Sheldon Davis, Stu Hart, and Abinash Pati. Two additional faculty, Will Foss and David Horowitz, will be joining us in Winter 2024.

I also want to share that our Fall State of the School will be on Sept. 27 in the afternoon. Please mark your calendars and I hope many of you can be there so I can give you the latest update on all things Ross. 

As a reminder, I will continue to have my weekly open office hours for students and for faculty and staff. I aim for Tuesday afternoons for these. In September, the in-person office hours for staff and faculty are in the Winter Garden as follows:

Tuesday, Sept. 5 from 4:15-5 p.m.
Thursday, Sept. 14 from 10:30-11:15 a.m.
Tuesday, Sept. 19 from 4:15-5 p.m.

The monthly virtual office hours will be held on Tuesday, Sept. 26 from 4-4:45 p.m. (The student office hours immediately precede the faculty/staff office hours.)

Finally, I would like to thank everyone who was able to stop by the welcome back gathering hosted in the Dean’s Suite this week. It was a great turnout, and it was fun to see everyone, celebrate the start of the fall term, and hear about your summer adventures. As summer comes to a close and we enjoy the upcoming Labor Day holiday, please remember to continue to look after your personal wellness and make time for the things you enjoy. I, myself, am looking forward to attending the first home football game at Michigan Stadium and cheering on our Wolverines all season long!

Kind regards,

Sharon

Similar Posts