happy,retirement,on,speech,bubbles

Farewell to our Retirees

At Michigan Ross, we’re happy to celebrate the staff and faculty in our community who are retiring. After contributing years of service and impactful work to the school, the following individuals will be departing for retirement:

• Cindy Crawford, lecturer II of business communications (effective June 1, 2024)
  • Wally Hopp, C.K. Prahalad Distinguished University Professor of Business and Engineering, professor of technology and operations (effective June 1, 2024)

Below, our retirees have shared reflections on their time at Michigan Ross and their plans for the future.

ross school of business, natalie summers

Cindy Crawford, lecturer II

Eighteen years ago, I was busy making plans to leave Ann Arbor and look for work in a warmer climate. Then, a friend mentioned something about job postings for lecturers in Business Communication at the University of Michigan Business School. Communication, business, teaching… three of my favorite things! I applied immediately.

These 18 years have been wonderful. Not once have I regretted changing my mind about staying in Ann Arbor—well, to be completely honest, I did have a few moments during those 18 winters when I wondered why I was still here. But I never had any regrets about staying for one of the best jobs I could imagine ever having.

One of the things I have most appreciated about my time at Ross is the opportunity to work with students of all levels in a variety of settings. I’ve taught BBA and MBA classes, coached Multidisciplinary Action Project teams across all graduate levels, and worked with students in leadership challenges. I have been honored and delighted to work with smart, hardworking, and passionate students who truly are going to make the world a better place through business.

I’ve also been honored to work with smart and dedicated colleagues. Seeing how much they care and how much they do to improve the learning experience at Ross has truly inspired me.

However, all good things must end. Or do they? Although I am retiring and looking forward to traveling, reading, and possibly taking up pickleball, I’m not quite ready to leave Ross completely. Next year I will return as a retiree-rehire to teach a class and coach some MAP teams.

f4bd7daa d7f8 44dd 964a eaa763328039 1 201 a

Wally Hopp, C.K. Prahalad Distinguished University Professor of Business and Engineering, professor of technology and operations

I’m hanging up my dry-erase markers and am riding my (electric) bike off into the sunset after 40 years of professing — 23 at Northwestern University and 17 at the University of Michigan. As I do, I’m thankful for all the rewarding roles these two stellar institutions allowed me to play, including engineering and management faculty member, director of several degree programs and founder of two (BS in Manufacturing Engineering at Northwestern, Online MBA at Michigan Ross), associate dean, journal editor-in-chief, professional society president, industry consultant, government advisor, and probably others my aged brain has forgotten.

But enjoyable as they were, these roles were dwarfed by the people I played them with. There is not a single accomplishment listed on my resume that does not owe its existence to the many faculty collaborators, staff colleagues, student advisees, and other fellow travelers in the world of higher education I have had the privilege to work with over the years. And that goes for things like silly educational videos I wouldn’t dare claim on my resume. Thinking back on all these wonderful partnerships almost makes me want to do it all over again — almost!

Now, I’m looking forward to new roles like golfer, traveler, woodworker, beekeeper, and grandparent. And who knows? Maybe some of us will cross paths in those worlds beyond the university. I hope so.

Similar Posts