Q&A: Michigan Ross New Year’s Resolutions

As we kick off  2023, some of our faculty and staff are sharing their plans and resolutions for the year. From traveling to Antarctica, to teaching new courses, and participating in the Boston Marathon, the following seven individuals are doing really interesting things, both personally and professionally. 

Also, Dean Sharon Matusik recently shared some of her resolutions and predictions with Poets&Quants.

Lindy Greer
Professor for Management and Organizations
Michael R. and Mary Kay Hallman Fellow

In 2023, I’m looking forward to the Sanger Leadership Center launching Collaboration Lab, the new teams-based learning that supports MAP for the FTMBA students; seeing my favorite research project on power-shifting (my hippo leadership model!) come out in print in the March issue of Harvard Business Review; and pushing several research projects forward with my amazing PhD students and co-authors. Outside of Ross, I’m excited to get back to piano lessons and to keep working on my very beginner pickleball skills with family and friends. Grateful for the amazing community at Ross!

Haley Phillips
Student Program Manager
Business+Impact

2023 is shaping up to be a huge year for me, both personally and professionally. I am kicking off the year with a trip to Patagonia, followed by an 11-day excursion to Antarctica — so one of my goals is to come back in one piece and frostbite-free. What I am most excited for though is this summer, as I will be getting married! My soon-to-be husband and I are also hoping to purchase our first home together in the Ann Arbor area within the next few months. In addition to my wedding, I will be in the weddings of four of my best friends. 

This is my fourth year at Ross, and I am excited to start planning for our next group of students who will be joining us in the fall. One of our flagship programs at Business+Impact is the Board Fellows Program. Our goal is to increase resources and support for students and area nonprofits. We also have a ton of new programming ideas to provide community engagement and service opportunities for students at all levels, so I am looking forward to rolling out these new events and experiences to the Ross community. Happy new year!

Scott Rick
Associate Professor of Marketing

I just finished writing a book on money, marriage, and well-being (coming out in January 2024). I’m already a bit of a spendthrift, but writing the book convinced me that I should be spending even more on vacations and other novel experiences. This is not to say that I intend to throw financial caution to the wind. I’m not cancelling the monthly deposits into the children’s college savings accounts or making any early withdrawals from the retirement fund. But writing the book has helped me appreciate just how uncertain the future is. It’s encouraged me to err a little more on the side of spending money to seize immediate opportunities for happiness rather than saving and hoping for better opportunities later. I’m taking that mindset into 2023.

Gabriella Ring
Administrative Coordinator
Ross ACT

In 2023, my biggest goal is to run a sub-3 hour marathon at the Boston Marathon in April. This is a 6:52 per minute mile pace for three hours — a feat only the top 1% of women marathoners achieve. My best time is 3:04 from the 2021 Indianapolis Monumental Marathon in November. It will be my third Boston Marathon and tenth marathon overall. I work with a running coach who really believes in my potential as an athlete and is equally excited about my goals. While I am intrinsically motivated in the sport, having his support adds a layer of accountability that I really appreciate. 

Running brings me a sense of strength and calm, it chemically produces endorphins that positively affect my mental health, and it is a strong part of my overall identity. The resiliency, confidence, and endurance I have gained from running has transferred to other parts of my life. I feel so lucky to have found a passion that requires putting in hard work in order to see proud results.

Jeff Domagala
Managing Director
Sanger Leadership Center

Each year, instead of a new year’s resolution, I choose three words to give my year focus. This year, my three words are: Courage, confidence, and pause. My three words for 2023 will inspire me to lead abundantly, to set appropriate boundaries, to take steps into the unknown, to say the hard things, and to keep motivated when times are tough. Also, my husband and I are adopting a baby boy in early April.

If you’re interested in taking this approach instead of making resolutions, here are a few tips that have helped me:

1. Identify areas of your life (personal or professional) where you may need a change, where you might feel stuck, or maybe it’s simply identifying a moment this upcoming year that will require you to show up differently or act in an intentional way.
  2. In each of these areas, what will you need? Who do you need to be? What mindset might you need to harness? 
  3. What words come to mind that you could lean into to live a more fulfilled life? How might these words overlap in many areas of your life? Jot down a list and begin reflecting on how those might support you in the new year. Commit to them and make them present in your daily life. Ensure you reflect upon them each month of 2023.

Cindy Schipani
Merwin H. Waterman Collegiate Professor of Business Administration
Professor of Business Law

My plans for this year include presenting my research on women on boards to global audiences in Ireland, England, Australia, and the United States; submitting a couple papers for publication; teaching a course in collaboration with a school in Argentina; and catching a dozen Springsteen concerts in various cities around the world. But most importantly, I will be helping my oldest daughter plan her wedding. I’m looking forward to an exciting year.

Puneet Manchanda
Isadore and Leon Winkelman Professor of Marketing

For 2023, the mental and emotional objective for me is “balance.” Professionally, I would like re-calibrate the balance between teaching, research, and service in the post-pandemic years. Specifically, I plan to increase my focus on the tech sector, zeroing in on investigating whether the benefits delivered by technology are balanced across consumers, firms, and society.

At the personal level, my objective for this year is to achieve that ever-elusive balance between my personal and professional lives, between duty/responsibility and self-fulfillment, and between action and contemplation. I always tell my students at the end of each course, “be neither happy nor unhappy — just be.” While that is easy to say, trying to achieve that balanced state of “just be” is a lifelong endeavor and I hope to get closer to it this year (as I do each year).

Similar Posts