Image of Dean Sharon Matusik next to "Michigan Ross" lettering

Recent and Upcoming School Events, an Update on our Task Forces, and the AACSB Re-Accreditation

Dear colleagues,

It’s been great hearing from many of you who enjoyed reading the first issue of The Ross Report newsletter. Your feedback is always welcome. As February comes to a close, I would like to take the time to reflect on a recent school event and what lies ahead for March.

First, I want to pause to again recognize the victims of the shooting at Michigan State University on Feb. 13. The loss of life was beyond tragic, and it will take a long time for their community to recover. I know so many in our community have connections to East Lansing and MSU and are also deeply affected. Thank you to all who signed the banner from Michigan Ross to the Eli Broad College of Business — I have been in touch with their dean, Judy Whipple, and she has expressed how meaningful it was to their community. As we look to support our own community in the aftermath of this shooting, here is information on resources from the Faculty and Staff Counseling and Consultation Office and the Division of Public Safety and Security.  

Changing gears, Ross was a co-sponsor of the 37th Annual U-M Reverend Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. Symposium celebrating the life and legacy of Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. I know many of you participated in a range of activities throughout the day at this very meaningful event. I was especially impressed by not only the speakers and panelists, but also the art and performances. If you were unable to attend or tune in virtually, here’s a recording of the event.

I’m looking forward to our next big school event, the second annual Mitchell Lecture on March 16 at 6:30 p.m. in Robertson Auditorium. This year’s speaker is Tyler Shultz, a Theranos whistleblower and entrepreneur. He will talk about his experiences as a college student working for Theranos and his decision to expose fraudulent blood testing practices. I am excited to welcome Mr. Shultz to Michigan Ross, and hope that many of you will be able to attend. Please look for an invitation shortly from our Ross Events office.

I want to acknowledge the great work that our task forces are doing on elevating our research through a potential pre-doctoral program, teaching excellence and innovation, and community and well-being for our faculty and staff as well as our students. Planning is well under way, and the groups will be completing their draft reports next month. I am incredibly grateful to all of you who are involved in these important efforts, and look forward to the ideas that will come out of this work.

Speaking of our teaching excellence and innovation, I had the opportunity to sit down with the education editor for the Financial Times, Andrew Jack, at the AACSB Deans conference and he was keenly interested in our action-based learning activities and other ways we are positively impacting practice through our research and teaching. He hopes to visit campus sometime over the next few months to learn more.

Finally, I wanted to thank all who have been involved in our AACSB re-accreditation process. The peer review team, with the deans from Dartmouth, UCLA, and Carnegie Mellon business schools, wrapped up their visit today and were especially complimentary of the true commitment to excellence across our community from students to our faculty, staff, and alumni. They were also impressed by what they described as a culture of caring, and of course they commented on how everyone here seems to bleed blue! 

I hope to see you at the upcoming Mitchell Lecture. Events like this are a great way to bring our community together and hear from remarkable individuals. In the meantime, I hope your semester is going well.

Warm regards,

Sharon

Similar Posts