September Message from the Dean

Dear colleagues,

I hope the fall is off to a great start for you, and I appreciated seeing many of you at the State of the School. Thanks for attending, and I appreciate your ongoing involvement as we work together on our strategic priorities. In particular, I want to thank the staff and faculty who volunteered to share their insights related to our fall task forces. Your ongoing engagement is key to our success, and as always, I value and appreciate your input. I look forward to keeping you posted on our progress and encourage you to check out our new Mission in Action iMpact web page for the latest updates. Also, here is a link to the State of the School presentation for your reference.  

I also wanted to share that in preparing the faculty research highlights for the State of the School, we received far more highlights than we were able to include. Please look for a follow-up email from Roman and me, celebrating the full set of faculty accomplishments.

As our semester moves into full swing, there are many activities, speakers, and events at Ross. For example, last weekend’s homecoming events featured a very well-received set of special topic sessions on Friday, as well as a nice dinner event for alums celebrating their 65th, 60th, 55th and 50th reunion (they definitely had some great Michigan gear!), and a tailgate in the Davidson Winter Garden on Saturday. Thanks to the many who were involved in making these such a success. 

We’re also expecting a great turnout for the annual All-Access Weekend. The three-day event starts tomorrow. We look forward to welcoming rising high school juniors and seniors to campus, many from historically underrepresented backgrounds, who are interested in learning more about the Ross experience. 

Another signature fall event is our Handleman lecture, which will be on Oct. 10 this year. I hope you will join me for a conversation with Award-winning Author and Oscar®-nominated Screenwriter Nick Hornby. The focus of our talk will be on genius industry disruptors, based on some of the ideas in his recent book, Dickens and Prince:  A particular kind of genius. Then on Oct. 31, we will welcome Dolly Chugh, an award-winning psychologist and professor at the Stern School of Business at NYU. Chugh will talk about her new book, A More Just Future, and lead a discussion about social change. Check your email for additional details about these and other upcoming events. 

I want to acknowledge the hard work of our colleagues in the Centers, Institutes, and Initiatives who are always busy developing programming for our students. Earlier this month, I had the opportunity to speak at the Tauber Institute’s Spotlight! Team Project Showcase and Scholarship Competition. We heard innovative operations and manufacturing solutions presented by teams of business and engineering students who spent 14 weeks at top global companies. A team from Ross was among the winning teams that received academic scholarships. You can read more about this event on the Tauber Institute website. Our Weiser Center for Real Estate hosted its annual Real Estate Conference on Sept. 22 in Robertson. There were several conference panels, including Women in Finance, Real Estate Development, and Real Estate and Technology, all led by leaders across the industry. Also, I had the opportunity to participate in a fireside chat with Jeff Blau, CEO of Related Companies. The Center for Positive Organizations held several events, including its Positive Links Speaker Series featuring Marcus Collins, clinical assistant professor of marketing, that attracted more than 900 attendees. I encourage you to check out the individual websites for our Centers, Institutes, and Initiatives to keep up with the latest news and events.   

As a reminder, I will continue to host my weekly open office hours for students, faculty, and staff. In October, the in-person office hours for staff and faculty will be held in the Winter Garden as follows:

• Wednesday, Oct. 11 from 2-2:45 p.m.
  • Tuesday, Oct. 17 from 4:15-5 p.m.
  • Wednesday, Oct. 25 from 4-4:45 p.m.

My student office hours immediately precede the staff and faculty office hours and also take place in the Winter Garden. 

The monthly virtual office hours will be held via Zoom on Thursday, Oct. 19 for staff and faculty from 11:30 a.m. to noon and for students from 4-4:30p.m. If you’d like to attend the virtual office hours, please reach out to Heather Cooper (hmcooper@umich.edu) for an invite including the link to join. If you don’t make it to office hours, I look forward to seeing you at the next faculty meeting or All Staff Meeting. And please come to our annual pumpkin decorating contest on Oct. 26!  

Enjoy the weekend, and I hope you have time to get out and enjoy some peak viewing of the fall leaves. 

Kind regards,

Sharon

Similar Posts