Image of Dean Sharon Matusik next to "Michigan Ross" lettering

June Message from the Dean

Dear colleagues,

I hope your summer is going well so far. It was great to see many of you at our first summer gathering earlier this month and talk about what everyone is up to this summer. We have two more coming up — on July 11 and Aug. 9 — so if you are in town, please come! It is a fun excuse to catch up with each other and connect.

Starting in about a week, you will notice some work being done around the building as part of our safety upgrades. In the aftermath of the shooting incident at MSU, we engaged in more safety training for people in our building and also worked with DPSS to identify locations for additional cameras and other security features to help keep us safe, while also being mindful of privacy considerations. These are in the process of being installed.

Changing gears, we have all been very busy this past year and I want to recognize some of the great accomplishments and activities that you may want to check out additional details on. This year, Michigan Ross introduced two important and innovative learning spaces that will benefit students, faculty, and staff: the Convatech Digital Learning Studio and the Thomas C. Jones Undergraduate Innovation Suite. U.S. News & World Report has ranked our Full-Time MBA Program as No. 8, and our Part-Time and Executive MBA Programs at No. 7. U.S. News also ranked our BBA Program as No. 4, and for the second year in a row, Financial Times ranked our Executive Education Program No. 1 in North America. Also, we secured over $60 million for scholarships and student support to date through our Foundations for Success initiative. And, our first-ever graduating class from the Master of Business Analytics Program officially crossed that finish line. These are only a few of the many achievements from this past year, and are by no means an exhaustive list, but I thought you might appreciate learning more about these accomplishments. At every level, there are teams and individuals doing great things, and I hope you will take a moment to celebrate and acknowledge the hard work you and your colleagues are doing day in and day out. 

As we look towards the next academic year, I want to provide a few notes about our admissions cycle. The BBA program continues to be in high demand with over 9,200 first-year applications and over 500 transfer applications for this fall’s class; both increases over last year. The incoming GPA for our first-year students is an impressive 3.92. While we don’t yet have final numbers for our Full-Time MBA Program, we are optimistic that the incoming class will be one of our strongest and most diverse; we also expect this year’s incoming class to be larger than last year’s. Our fall Online MBA, Los Angeles and Ann Arbor Executive MBA cohorts, and the One-Year Master’s portfolio overall all saw growth in applications and commits. In sum, we can expect a great set of students as the newest members of our Ross community.

Lastly, I want to thank everyone who came to our informal teaching conversation guided by Greg Miller with help from Sarah Zimmerman. I enjoyed the discussion about some interesting articles related to academic rigor and flexibility. The conversation was constructive and engaging, and I look forward to more of these in the future. It was also great to see the submissions for our research acceleration grants. We received 10 and are now in the process of reviewing these, with the aim of selecting about three for funding this time around. It’s important to share the impactful research taking place at Ross and, for this reason, we’ve hired a new research communications writer, JT Godfrey. I encourage our faculty to please share your accomplishments with him.

I will continue to have my weekly open office hours for faculty and staff throughout the summer and next academic year. The in-person ones for faculty and staff will be on Tuesdays from 2:30-3:15 p.m. in the Winter Garden, and I will also hold student in-person office hours from 3:30-4:15 p.m. there. I am working on the details for the Zoom office hours and will share those when they are finalized. Please feel free to stop by and let me know how you are doing and, once again, thank you for all of your hard work and dedication this past academic year!

Warm regards,

Sharon

Similar Posts