January Message from the Dean

Dear colleagues,

I hope your new year is off to a great start! I, like many of you, am still elated over the national championship game win against Washington on Jan. 8. It was definitely an exciting way to kick off the new year.  

I am especially thrilled about 2024 as it is our school’s 100-year anniversary. On Jan. 17, we officially kicked off our anniversary celebrations with a centennial toast. I want to thank each of you who raised a glass with me and also thank those who stopped by the Dean’s Suite Open House earlier this month. At the open house, we passed out special centennial gift bags for faculty and staff. If you could not attend the open house and would like to pick up a gift bag, please contact Katelynn Lockhart (kslockha@umich.edu) to coordinate a time or stop by during normal business hours.

As we celebrate our centennial, I would like to invite you to participate in other upcoming special events planned for this year. Please refer to this month’s feature story and continue reading The Ross Report for more information on the centennial events and activities that will take place.

In addition to the planned events, we’ve dedicated a special section of the Michigan Ross website to commemorate our century of achievements and the pioneers who came before us. I encourage you to check back often on the website for stories and special milestones. Also, you may share your own special memories about Ross on social media using #Ross100. Your messages will be shared on social media and our website throughout 2024 as part of our school’s year-long centennial celebration.

Switching gears, thanks to the many of you were able to attend the Reverend Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. Symposium Keynote Lecture on Jan. 15. To continue celebrating the life and legacy of Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr., I would also like to invite everyone to an event I will be participating in on Jan. 31 at 2:30 p.m. in Robertson Auditorium. The theme will be The Intersection of Racial and Environmental Justice and will feature three leaders in those spaces who will explore how business leaders this important intersection.

To thank everyone for your dedication and hard work in planning, attending, and making these events and our centennial year a success, there are a couple of social events that I would love for you to attend. On Feb. 15, staff and faculty are invited to our Bring Your Own Lunch event from 11:30 a.m. – 1 p.m. in the Corner Commons. Bring your lunch and enjoy socializing and participating in optional activities with your peers. A few days later, on Feb. 19, I would like to invite everyone to enjoy a much-deserved meeting-free day. Please take advantage of this opportunity to have some uninterrupted time to advance your projects or reflect on larger goals and objectives. If you would like to take a social break that day, the Dean’s office will be hosting a morning breakfast buffet and an afternoon trivia event. More details will be shared soon.

As usual, I would also like to remind everyone of my office hours. In February, the in-person office hours for faculty and staff will be held in the Davidson Winter Garden on the following dates and times:

Tuesday, Feb. 6, from 4:15-5 p.m.
Tuesday, Feb. 13, from 4:15-5 p.m.
Monday, Feb. 19, from 4:15-5 p.m.

The monthly virtual office hours will be held on Thursday, Feb 1, from 9:30-10:15 a.m. and Friday, Mar. 1, from 3-3:45 p.m. If you would like to attend the virtual office hours, please contact Heather Cooper (hmcooper@umich.edu) for an invite with the link to join.

To close, thank you all for your hard work and for getting the winter term off to a strong start. I look forward to sharing more with you about upcoming events and festivities for our centennial year, so stay tuned to The Ross Report.

Kind regards,

Sharon

Similar Posts