July Message from the Dean

Dear Colleagues,

I hope you are all enjoying the summer so far. I got to experience the Ann Arbor Art Fair a couple of weeks ago for the first time, and I very much enjoyed that. Having so many things to do in Ann Arbor over the summer is great. 

As we roll into our new fiscal year, which officially began on July 1, I want to recap who is on our leadership team. Our current team is as follows: Daren Batke, chief advancement officer; Amy Byron-Oilar, chief of staff; Kerry Flynn, chief information officer; Roman Kapuscinski, senior associate dean for faculty and research; Jennifer Monaghan, chief marketing officer; Sean O’Neil, chief financial officer; Cathy Shakespeare, associate dean for undergraduate programs; Gretchen Spreitzer, associate dean for executive and corporate relations; S. Sriram, associate dean for graduate programs; and Carolyn Yoon, associate dean for diversity, equity, and inclusion (including global initiatives). We are looking forward to working together, and I know all of us are very interested in your continued ideas and engagement. Also, I want to acknowledge and thank our previous leadership team members for their outstanding contributions to Ross: Norm Bishara, Tom Buchmueller, Izak Duenyas, Brad Kilally, and David Wooten. 

In a few short weeks, our BBA and FTMBA students will join us back on campus. This year, we are introducing something new for our incoming first-year undergraduate students to help build a strong sense of community and belonging among them. To welcome the Class of 2027, next month we’ll be hosting a class-wide challenge that will span the weekend, as well as an afternoon of various team-building activities. And for our MBAs, we’re looking forward to hosting Meet the Clubs and Meet the Funds – opportunities for our students to learn about spaces and opportunities in which they can be involved. A special thank you to the many staff and faculty involved in these activities.

I am pleased to announce the following faculty whose proposals that have been funded as part of our research acceleration efforts, aimed at further transformational research here at Ross:  Lindy Greer, Derek Harmon and Justin Frake, Jessica Fong, Jim Omartian and Maggie Zhou. Congratulations to each of you! With the start of the new academic year, there will be many research projects getting underway. With that in mind, I want to re-emphasize that we’ve hired a new research communications writer, JT Godfrey. I encourage our faculty to contact him to share your work so we can promote your accomplishments. 

Changing gears, on Aug. 8 there will be another “Pop-Up Coffee Chat” faculty conversation, this time focused on the topic of GenAI. It will be held from 10-11 a.m. in the Faculty Lounge and will be facilitated by Nigel Melville and Ari Shwayder.

Also in August, we have several events planned to recognize our faculty and staff. Our Staff Summer Soiree will be held on Aug. 2 from 3-5 p.m. in the Alessi Courtyard. I am very much looking forward to celebrating our staff here at Ross and all of their hard work and dedication. On Aug. 23, we will honor our new, promoted, and retiring faculty at the 2023 Ross Faculty Celebration. On Aug. 30, we will host a faculty and staff open house from 3:30-5 p.m. in the Dean’s Suite. And last but not least, thanks to the many of you who joined us for our July summer gathering – our last one will be on Aug. 9 from 4-5 p.m. in the S. Scott Stewart Lobby. Lots going on, so please mark your calendars, and I hope to see you at these events!

As a reminder, I will continue to have my weekly open office hours for students, faculty, and staff as we head into the academic year. In August, the in-person office hours will occur weekly in the Winter Garden on the dates and times listed below:

Thursday, Aug. 3
Students: 3:15-4 p.m.
Faculty & Staff: 4:15-5 p.m.

Tuesday, Aug. 8
Students: 3:15-4 p.m.
Faculty & Staff: 4:15-5 p.m.

Wednesday, Aug.16
Students: 1:45-2:30 p.m.
Faculty & Staff: 2:45-3:30 p.m.

Thursday, Aug. 24
Students: 3:30-4:15 p.m.
Faculty & Staff: 4:15-5 p.m.

The monthly virtual office hours will be held on Tuesday, Aug. 29 for students from 3:15-4 p.m. and for faculty and staff from 4:15-5 p.m. via Zoom. The Zoom details will be posted in iMpact for students, and the faculty and staff link can be accessed by contacting Heather Cooper. Please feel free to stop by, whether in person or virtually, and let me know how you are doing.

I hope you enjoy the remaining weeks of summer and I look forward to seeing you soon!

Sharon

Similar Posts