March Message from the Dean

Dear colleagues,

As March comes to a close, I would like to acknowledge all of the time and effort that many of you have put into organizing some terrific events this academic year. Last month, we welcomed President Santa Ono to Michigan Ross for a special town hall. It was a great opportunity for members of our community to meet President Ono and hear about his vision for the university. And a couple of weeks ago, I was happy to see so many of you at our second annual Mitchell Lecture, featuring Theranos whistle-blower Tyler Shultz. I was very impressed by his courage, standing up to many senior leaders, scientists, and world-renowned family members who served on the company’s board when he was in his first job out of college. I hope our students were able to imagine themselves in his place, and how they would have handled this ethical challenge.  

In other news, you may be seeing a lot of activity around Michigan Ross this week, as we are hosting two important conferences that are aimed at enhancing the undergraduate business education experience. This is the first time Michigan Ross is hosting the Career Undergraduate Business Symposium and National Undergraduate Business Symposium. This is an exceptional opportunity to engage with business educators and thought leaders from across the University of Michigan and other top U.S. business schools. On Tuesday of this week, we kicked off the CUBS conference and welcomed directors of business school career placement offices to discuss key issues in undergraduate recruiting and hiring. Wednesday, we welcomed thought leaders from the nation’s top undergraduate business schools, including administrative and faculty directors, to our NUBS conference. They are here to discuss key issues, best practices in undergraduate business education, and ideas for innovation. I had the pleasure of moderating a NUBS student panel discussing the issues and challenges that first-generation students face. I am very proud that Michigan Ross is stimulating important dialogue on how to support these students.  

I am also grateful to the many people who worked very hard on the four task force reports that were completed: Faculty/staff wellness and community; student community and belonging;  amplifying teaching excellence and innovation; and viability of a pre-doctorate program to accelerate research. Please look for more information soon on next steps related to the ideas that came out of this work.

And our final major event of the academic year is commencement, which is just around the corner. I appreciate all of your efforts to get our students over the finish line as we wrap up the semester, and gear up for another remarkable Michigan Ross commencement ceremony to launch our students into their next chapter. 

I hope you have a great weekend!

Warm regards,

Sharon

Similar Posts