happy,retirement,on,speech,bubbles

Farewell to our Retirees

At Michigan Ross, we’re happy to celebrate the staff and faculty in our community who are retiring. After contributing years of service and impactful work to the school, the following individuals have or will be departing for retirement:

• Patricia Russo, managing director, Part-Time MBA Programs (effective July 6, 2023)
  • Richard Bagozzi, Dwight F. Benton Professor of Behavioral Science in Management (effective June 1, 2023)
  • Wayne Baker, Robert P. Thome Professor of Management and Organizations (effective June 1, 2023)
  • E. Han Kim, Everett E. Berg Professor of Business Administration, professor emeritus of finance, corporate strategy and international business (effective June 1, 2023)
  • Peter Lenk, professor of technology and operations (effective June 1, 2023)

Below, some of our retirees have shared reflections on their time at Michigan Ross and their plans for the future.

russo headshot

Patricia Russo, managing director, Part-Time MBA Programs

So after 13 years at Ross, I have decided to retire. (This is where you are shocked and say, “how could you possibly be old enough?” Go ahead, I’ll wait…) I’ve done many things here: taught courses, worked as a MAP and Tauber coach, worked in the MAP Office, and — for the past nine years — managed the Part-Time MBA Programs. I helped launch the Online MBA which was harrowing and fun at the same time.

I’ve had a great time here. The things that stick in my head tend to be the small moments rather than the big milestones: the time I quoted Soren Kierkegaard to a (now retired) faculty member and he thought I was talking about a student, or when I went on a mad search for saltine crackers for one of my Weekend MBA students in the first trimester of pregnancy. I will miss my team the most, as well as all the other wonderful staff who are smart, funny, and always willing to do whatever it takes to make things better. I am very proud of all the students who have gone through my programs and love seeing how happy and successful they have become.  

Now it is over. I have a great deal of travel planned and will be walking onto a plane three days after my retirement to spend three weeks in Europe. I also wrote a novel last year and have secured a New York literary agent, so we’ll see what happens with that. It’s been an unexpected journey. Who would have thought someone who was a member of the communist party in high school would grow up to be a director at an elite business school? I guess that’s what makes America great.

headshot e. han kim 0344

E. Han Kim, Everett E. Berg Professor of Business Administration, professor emeritus of finance, corporate strategy and international business

After 43 years as a faculty member at Michigan Ross, I am happy to retire as the Everett E. Berg Professor Emeritus of Business Administration and professor emeritus of finance. Since joining the school in 1980 as an associate professor with tenure, I’ve done a few things besides teaching and research: founding the Mitsui Life Financial Research Center and NTT Program of Asian Finance and Economics, of which I have served as the founding director for 30 years. I also developed the Global MBA Program at Michigan Ross, a unique global program with four onsite sessions in Korea, Japan, China, and Ann Arbor. I served as the program’s founding director for more than 25 years.

What I enjoyed most at Ross was building a research-oriented group during the 1980s, with full support from the late Dean Gilbert Whitaker. I also enjoyed mentoring our doctoral students. Watching them grow as aspiring young scholars has been very gratifying.

As I enter retirement, I look forward to spending more time on an important personal project. I have been writing a memoir of how my family escaped North Korea when I was two years old, came to the United States for education, and began working at universities and in the corporate world as a board member and consultant. I plan to publish it soon. I am also excited to spend more time with my family.

id's here

Wayne Baker, Robert P. Thome Professor of Management and Organizations

I was an associate professor at the University of Chicago when I got a call from Jim Walsh that changed the course of my life and career. The call was the start of an opportunity to join what is now the Management and Organizations area. Joining the faculty here was one of the best decisions I’ve made. M&O was and is an ideal combination of a positive group culture, kind colleagues, high standards without pretension, appreciation of multiple disciplines, innovativeness, and support for research and practice.  

One of the strengths of Ross and the University of Michigan is the permeability of boundaries. This made a perfect environment for me because I have many interests. My main appointment was in Ross, but I also had appointments in Sociology, the Institute for Social Research, and Organizational Studies. This environment enabled me to make scholarly contributions in multiple areas: network science, social capital, economic sociology, sociology of markets, economic crime, culture, American values, survey research, ethnic studies, positive organizational scholarship, and management practice.

Ross has been a hospitable place to spend most of my career. A prime example of the school’s support of innovative ideas is the Center for Positive Organizations, founded in 2002. I had the honor of being CPO’s first faculty director and I served another term in my last few years of active service at U-M.

I think of retirement as phase two of my life. My plans are to continue research projects I am passionate about, to write a book in a genre quite different from the six books I previously published, and to engage in experiments to explore new activities. My wife and I will spend summers up north on our boat, “Ma Cherie,” and the rest of the year in our new home in Arizona. We look forward to staying connected with our friends and colleagues in Ann Arbor!

Similar Posts