ross report cover photo (1)

Q&A: Faculty and Staff Share Their Reflections on Women’s History Month

March is Women’s History Month – a time to recognize and honor women’s contributions throughout history. At Michigan Ross, we’re privileged to work alongside incredible women who are making an impact in business and education every day. We reached out to some of the women in our faculty and staff and asked them to share some of their experiences and accomplishments, and reflect on what Women’s History Month means to them.

img 9122 caitlin johnson.jpg cropped

Caitlin Johnson, director of alumni engagement, Office of Advancement

What is one of your proudest accomplishments thus far in your life?
Career-wise, I am excited to have hit my 10-year mark with Michigan Ross. Reflecting on all the connections, friendships, and accomplishments that have been made over the years, you don’t realize how much you have done and contributed until you pause to take a moment because many of us are running full-steam most of the time.

Personally, it would be my two kids and making memories with them. Watching them grow and take in the world. Watching how they are experiencing life and interpreting the world around them. You sometimes have the funniest conversations, “Do mourning doves only come out in the morning?” and are reminded of the simple things in life, such as the beauty in a fresh blanket of snow.

Do you have any passion projects or belong to organizations that help support, inspire, and/or advocate for the next generation?
Besides philanthropic giving to Michigan Ross and my alma mater, Virginia Tech — Go Hokies! — I try to support local establishments and enjoy the community around me because they are key components that make a place special and build community.

What does Women’s History Month mean to you and how do you feel about the advancements that have been made for women in society?
This month is a great time to reflect and celebrate the amazing women who have helped advance women in society, challenge the norms, advocate for each other, and cheer each other on. It is also an opportunity to be reminded of the role we play for future generations, whether that is your kids, family members, friends, or those you don’t know who look to you. You help show young girls what is possible and show young boys how to support the women in their lives.

sarika gupta

Sarika Gupta, managing director, Zell Lurie Institute; adjunct lecturer in business

I’m proud to have earned degrees in engineering and business, which have helped me bring different and unique perspectives to all aspects of my life. My greatest career highlight has been leading our team at ZLI, where I continue to learn and grow every day. On the home front, I’m proud to be a mom to the two silliest (but well-behaved!) kids in the world.

I’m on the leadership board for the Ross Women in Business Alumni Association. I love that we are business women of all generations supporting one another. I’m also coaching my daughter’s Science Olympiad team, which is composed of all girls. I’m excited to share my passion and enthusiasm for STEM with this group of curious, bright, and fun second graders.

Having studied and worked in male-dominated fields (i.e. engineering, investment management, startups in the gaming industry) for my entire career, this month holds special meaning to me. Before I came to Ross it wasn’t uncommon for me to be the only woman in the room. I was lucky to have strong women managers and mentors early in my career who supported me and pushed me outside my comfort zone. They taught me what it means to be a leader and I hope to instill those values in future generations.

u of m ross

Blaire Moody Rideout, director of undergraduate admissions, Office of Undergraduate Programs

In 2016 I led the creation and implementation of the Ross Admissions Portfolio, which has been featured as an innovative best practice by the Learning Policy Institute. To date, it has been publicized as an innovative approach to college admissions in Forbes, the New York Times, and on ABC News. Creating a technique that has truly evolved our admissions process to allow us to lean into our values as a school and provide more gender and racial diversity for our BBA class has been the most rewarding accomplishment of my career thus far.

Through my work, I have been able to connect Michigan Ross with national organizations that advocate for and provide support to first-generation, limited-income, underrepresented communities, and minoritized identities. These organizations include College Greenlight and the National Partnership for Educational Access. Additionally, I serve on the national advisory board for DECA Inc., where our student executive leadership board was an all-female group this year!

Women’s History Month reminds me of the support I have received throughout my education and career. My identity as and knowledge of being a woman who was told she was capable of leadership and great things began early with college access programs that supported me as a young student. In high school, I was identified by a local college in my community to join their Women in Science and Engineering program, which was my first real exposure to a college campus and possibilities for my future. It was also the first science program I was involved with where I wasn’t the only young girl on a team, and that was life-changing. I carry that experience with me to this day as I engage with young women interested in studying business, especially finance. When I started in this role, the BBA program was enrolling a class that was 34% female. In 2022, we enrolled a class that was 47% female and we are continuing that effort and increase. I am now a crucial part of advancing the success of women in underrepresented fields, and that is one of the most important professional roles I will ever have.

cheri headshot cheri alexander

Cheri Alexander, professor of practice, Management and Organizations

I am most proud of my daughter who is a professor at another university. She makes a positive difference in the world every day of her life. For me professionally, before coming to Ross, I am most proud of having been a plant manager of an automotive plant of 6,000 people that had the highest quality ratings at the time in the United States. I am also very proud of having been the executive vice president of international HR for my company and president of its Corporate University. At Ross, I am most proud of the students that I teach and that are already building a better world through business.

Do you have any passion projects or belong to organizations that support, inspire, and/or advocate for the next generation?
I am currently working on an online course that I hope will inspire the next generation of human capital professionals in the world.

I used to be one in 200, or one in 54, or the one and only woman at the table. I love that this is not the case any longer and that my students are entering corporations and entities that are moving toward parity.

Similar Posts