Academic Accommodations

For students with disabilities

In the United States, a number of laws exist at the national, state and local level to protect individuals with disabilities from discrimination and to provide additional accommodations as necessary. Under Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1974 and the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) of 1990, students studying at any institution within the United States have the right to request special accommodations relating to their disabilities. According to these laws, a person with a disability is defined as someone who:

  • has a physical or mental impairment that substantially limits one or more major life activities,
  • has a record or history of such an impairment,
  • or is regarded as having such an impairment.

Additionally, the University of Michigan and the Ross School of Business are committed to providing equal opportunity for participation in all programs, services and activities.

Eligibility for accommodations

To be eligible for an academic accommodation due to a disability students must register their disability and discuss their needs with the Office Services for Students with Disabilities (SSD)Because arrangements must be made no later than 2 weeks prior to the first assignment, it is recommended to begin this process early

Accommodations for conditions

Students who receive academic accommodations due to a disability at their home universities are usually entitled to similar accommodations here at the University of Michigan when wish accommodations are available. Some examples of past accommodations include but are not limited to:

  • Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD) 
  • Acquired/Traumatic Brain Injury
  • Autistic Spectrum Disorder
  • Chronic Health Condition
  • Mental Health Condition 
  • Deaf or Hard of Hearing 
  • Learning Disability 
  • Visual Impairment 
  • Mobility Impairment
  • Temporary Disability 

To register your disability and explore available accommodations with SSD, please follow these steps:

  1. Your Disability Documentation. Provide SSD with diagnostic documentation about your disability and send the completed paperwork to the office via fax (734) 936-3947 or email You will include the following documentation:
    • Diagnostic report from an appropriate medical professional describing your disability or condition
    • Submit an online  Verified Individualized Services and Accommodations (VISA) form – this is NOT the visa in your passport.
    • Documentation from your home university regarding the accommodations they provide for you.
  2. Confirmation of Your Paperwork. Once SSD has received your paperwork, they will send a confirmation message to your UMICH email account and assign you a disability coordinator here at Ross.
  3. Set Up a Meeting with Your Disability Coordinator. Call or email your disability coordinator to set up a face-to-face appointment. During this initial meeting your coordinator will determine your eligibility for services and identify reasonable and appropriate academic accommodations.

Please note that accommodations are not guaranteed for students who do not complete this process earlier than two weeks prior to their first quiz or exam.   


For more information on academic accommodations, please contact the Office Services for Students with Disabilities (SSD)

Phone: (734) 763-3000

Phone  (TDD): (734) 615-4461 

Phone (VP): (734) 619-6661