4. Visa Application

All Ross exchange students must apply for and receive an F-1 student visathe type of student visa issued to international students who are attending an academic program at a U.S. college or university.

You should plan to complete the following steps when applying for your F-1 visa:

  1. Access and print your I-20 form via M-Passport.
  2. Pay your I-901 SEVIS Fee Online and print the receipt.
  3. Identify the U.S. Embassy or Consulate in your region at which you will apply.
    • Please note that it is preferred that you make you appointment at a U.S. Embassy/Consulate in your home country. However, if this is not possible, in most cases you can make an appointment at the closest U.S. Embassy/Consulate.
  4. Visit the website of the embassy or consulate you will visit, and follow the instructions on the site to:
    • Obtain acceptable photographs,
    • Complete your online DS-160 visa application,
    • Get a list of all required documents you must bring, and
    • Schedule your visa interview appointment.

Helpful Resources

U.S. Visa Appointment Wait Times – This website lets you know approximately how long it will take to secure an appointment at your local embassy or consulate.

Study In The States – This website maintained by the U.S. Department of Homeland Security offers helpful guidance on how to apply for your visa.

How to Navigate the US Immigration System – This website maintained by U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement provides a step-by-step walk-through of the visa process.

Visit these U-M International Center webpages for more information: 

It is important to make copies of your passport. Leave a copy at home, email yourself a copy, and carry a copy with you. Additionally, carry your actual passport with you while you are in transit. Guard your passport at all times.

DO NOT pack your passport, I-20, or prescription medication in your checked luggage.