Important Departments

The University of Michigan is a large university consisting of several different offices serving unique roles. As you acclimate to life in Ann Arbor, you will begin to see how our various offices work with you as a student. Here you can read about the various offices to help you better understand your main resources when you have questions or need assistance.

Global Initiatives

Kresge Hall, Rm K3510 
700 E. University Ave 
Ann Arbor, MI 48109-1234 

Global Initiatives was established at the Stephen M. Ross School of Business in 1989 by University of Michigan faculty as a multidisciplinary resource for teaching and learning about international business. We serve incoming exchange students by processing applications, coordinating the acceptance process, providing cultural and academic orientation, and providing ongoing support. 

International center

1500 Student Activities Building 
515 E. Jefferson Street 
Phone: (734) 764-9310 

International Center: 
U-M Health Insurance: 

The International Center serves all international students, scholars, faculty, and visitors throughout the University of Michigan. The International Center should be considered your primary authority on your visa status. In addition, the International Center’s Health Insurance Office administers the University of Michigan mandatory health insurance program for international students and scholars, including providing and processing forms needed for insurance enrollment, changes, and requests for waivers of the insurance requirement. This office also assists students and scholars who have questions or concerns about insurance procedures and filing insurance claims. 

The International Center provides the following: 

  • Advises international students, scholars, their dependents, and University departments on compliance with U.S. immigration laws and regulations related to F and J visa categories. Please refer to their advising website for walk-in hours or to set up an appointment.
  • Verifies, tracks, and submits visa status notifications through the Student and Exchange Visitor Information System (SEVIS), as required by the U.S. Department of Homeland Security. 
  • Advises on adjustment to U.S. society and American culture, academic concerns and community resources.
  • Processes DS-2019s, I-20s, travel signatures, and letters needed for travel, employment, maintaining status, social security numbers, and other immigration related matters. 

The International Center expects the following of all international students: 

  • Follow all regulations of your visa. 
  • Notify the International Center if you find yourself in a situation affecting your academic standing.
  • Notify the International Center if you find yourself in a situation affecting your ability to stay in the U.S. 

Ross registrar’s office

Stephen M. Ross School of Business
700 E. University Ave 
Kresge Hall, Rm K3521 

Phone: (734) 647-4933 

Registration and schedule questions: 

The Ross Registrar’s Office serves the Ross School of Business community. The Ross Registrar’s Office is a useful resource for information related to academic policies, student rights, and enrollment.

Counseling and psychological services (CAPS)

Tappan Street Auxiliary Building
609 Tappan Ave
Ann Arbor, MI 48109  

The mission of Counseling and Psychological Services (CAPS) is to foster the psychological development and emotional well-being of students through counseling and psychotherapy, preventive and educational programming, consultation and outreach, as well as contributions to the mental health professions. 

In collaboration with students, schools, colleges, and other units, Counseling and Psychological Services strives to develop a diverse, inclusive and multicultural community. Counseling and Psychological Services provides confidential psychological and psychiatric services for currently enrolled U of M undergraduate and graduate students. We strive to provide the following services in an atmosphere that is welcoming, comfortable, and multi-culturally sensitive for all students: 

  • Individual Counseling
  • Group Counseling
  • Urgent/Crisis Services
  • Psychiatric Evaluations and Medication Management
  • ADHD Screenings and Support
  • Eating Patterns Screening and Support
  • Substance Abuse Screenings and Support
  • Daily “Common Concerns” Meetings
  • Drop-in Workshops
  • Referral Services

More information about these services can be found here

University health services (UHS)

207 Fletcher St
Ann Arbor, MI 48109-1050 

Phone: (734) 764-8320  

UHS is a health care clinic located on the central campus of the University of Michigan. With approximately 70,000 visits per year, UHS is a highly utilized campus resource, and part of the Division of Student Affairs. Please note that UHS is not the UM Health System (hospitals and clinics). 

U-M students, faculty, staff and others affiliated with UM are eligible to visit UHS. For students who are enrolled for the current semester on the Ann Arbor campus, most UHS services are covered by the health service fee, which is paid as part of tuition. UHS provides outpatient care with no overnight stays. Through our Medical Clinics, UHS can meet most health care needs. 

You can schedule an appointment at UHS here.