Rising Sophomore BBAs, Class of 2027: Registration Information for Fall 2024

Specific Information for New Cross-Campus and External Transfer Students

General registration begins Monday, April 8 for undergraduates and the University catalog and schedule of classes for Fall 2024 will be available in early March. Please be sure to review the schedule and the information below carefully.

  • All First Year students must complete the following three courses, each with a grade of C- or better, by the end of your first Winter term.
    • A Sweetland-approved First Year Writing course
    • Economics 101 (including transfer credit, IB, or A-level test credit for this course)
    • Calculus I, II, or III (including transfer credit, AP, IB, or A-level test credit for this course).

Note: Ross aligns with LSA’s test credit equivalencies for Ross First Year students.  Please refer to this page for more information on advanced standing credit, and the scores needed for such credit.

  • All First Year students must also successfully complete BCOM 250 and BA 100 by the end of your first Winter term.  
  • All First Year students must enroll in a minimum of 12 credits or more at UM-Ann Arbor during each Fall and Winter term.
  • Students must maintain “Good Academic Standing” at Ross with a term and cumulative grade point average of 2.500 or higher at UM-Ann Arbor.

Students who do not successfully complete all First Year courses with a grade of C- or better by the end of Winter term in the first year will be placed on academic probation. Students placed on academic probation for this reason will be required to follow an alternate and extended timeline to complete their BBA degree.

Note: The Ross First Year Requirements are the Admissions requirements for Preferred Admission students.  PA students who do not meet these Admission requirements at the end of the Winter term of the first year are not eligible to move forward with the Preferred Admission offer and enroll in the BBA program.

Fall Schedule

Q. What Fall business core courses will I take as a Sophomore BBA?

A. Sophomore BBAs will be required to take the following three core courses in their Fall term:

  • ACC 300: Financial Accounting (3.0 credits)
  • BA 200: Businesses and Leaders: The Positive Differences (3.0 credits) 
  • TO 301: Business Analytics and Statistics (4.0 credits)

If Ross is currently your home school: the Ross Registrar’s Office will enroll you automatically into these BBA core courses. If your home school is currently outside of Ross: the Ross Registrar’s Office will issue you permissions to register for these BBA core courses.  You will receive these permissions via email before your registration begins.

Q. Can I add business electives or floating core to my Fall schedule?

A. No, floating core and business electives will not be available to BBA Sophomores until Winter 2025. As you build a balanced schedule, you may also consider completing distribution (be sure to use the LSA Course Guide to verify which classes meet the main distribution areas – FL, NS/MSA, SS, and HU) and/or other degree requirements (e.g., ECON 102).

Q. How many classes should I plan to take in addition to my core courses for the Fall term?

A. Sophomore BBA students will take 10 credits of core (ACC 300, BA 200, and TO 301) during the Fall term. You will want to take an additional course or two in order to complete the recommended average of 12-15 credits per semester.  Please keep in mind that the Sophomore Fall in the BBA program is an adjustment, so don’t overdo it.

Q. When can I begin making changes to my Fall schedule?

A. You will be able to add and make adjustments to non-Ross courses as soon as your registration window opens.  In order to adjust a core course you will need to follow the policies regarding course swapping. The University assigns registration appointment times for undergraduate students between Monday, April 8 and Friday, April 19.  Times are determined by the credits completed, and then are randomly assigned.  You can view your assigned time on Wolverine Access starting Wednesday, March 27.

Q. Do I need to use the backpack feature on Wolverine Access before registration opens?

A. We recommend using it, but it is not required. Beginning Wednesday, March 27 at 9 AM, you can add classes to your “Backpack” in Wolverine Access. Backpacking courses allows you to quickly add those classes all at once when your registration appointment time opens. However, be aware that backpacking does not reserve a seat for you in the class – it is simply a way to put the course in your “shopping cart” so that you can “check-out” quickly. If a class in your backpack is full when your registration time opens, you may waitlist yourself, and/or select an alternate open class at that time.

Q. I still have questions. Is there someone I can talk to?

A. If you have questions regarding course selection or degree requirements, please schedule an appointment with your academic advisor through our academic advising appointment system. Academic advisors are also holding virtual drop-in hours during the Winter semester, Monday-Friday from 2-3:30 PM. You will be able to talk privately with an advisor for up to 15 minutes.  Please review this page for information on how to join the drop-in advising queue.

You can also speak with one of the Ross Academic Peer Advisors during their drop-in hours. For assistance with forms and letter requests, permissions, registration troubleshooting, and other processes, please visit our help guide or contact the Ross Registrar’s Office via email (rossregistrarsoffice@umich.edu). 

Degree Requirements, Core Courses, and Planning

Q. How many credits should I plan to take each term as a BBA student?

A. You should register for a minimum of 12 credit hours each term. Going below 12 credits makes you a part-time student, which affects degree progress, financial aid, and international students’ immigration status and is not permitted for BBA students, with some exceptions for students in their final year. It is recommended that most BBAs average 12-15 credits per semester. If you are uncertain how many credit hours you must maintain each semester to reach the required amount for graduation please consult with your Ross academic advisor.​​

Q. When should I take ECON 102?

A. ECON 102 must be completed before you begin your Junior Fall term. Students are encouraged to complete this course earlier rather than later, though the timing of this course will vary from student to student. It is best to consult with your Ross academic advisor to determine when it is best for you to complete this.  Please remember that you must take ECON 102 on a graded basis if completed at UM-Ann Arbor.

Q. What do I do if I want to do a “concentration” or “emphasis?”

A. Ross offers a general Baccalaureate degree in Business Administration designed to prepare students for a wide variety of careers. You will have the flexibility to select electives within that major that align with your interests and goals. Students should meet with their academic advisor to discuss options as they plan ahead. We recommend that Sophomores focus on their required core classes as well as completing distribution and ECON 102 first.

Q. How do I find out what courses are being offered and when?

A. You can view the full University schedule (including Ross and non-Ross courses) on Wolverine Access, or via the Office of the Registrar. The LSA Course Guide is another great resource if you are looking for courses to fulfill distribution.

Q. What other academic opportunities can I explore as a Sophomore?

A. There are many opportunities that can be explored during Sophomore year. These include:

Q. Who is responsible for ensuring I complete all of my requirements?

A. Each student is responsible for registering for and completing all of their appropriate requirements. The Ross Registrar’s Office will enroll students into their core courses each term based on section, but all other enrollment responsibilities (ECON 102, distribution, electives, etc.) fall on the individual student.  A helpful tool in planning your semester-by-semester coursework is the Personal Development Plan (PDP).  You can download a blank PDP template, according to your class year, by clicking here.  If at any time you have a concern regarding your schedule or fulfillment of requirements, be sure to contact your Ross academic advisor.

Q. What are my core requirements?

A. You can review the core curriculum for BBA students on the curriculum page. 

Q. How do I know which degree requirements I have or haven’t completed?

A. You can review your “Academic Requirements” on Wolverine Access and access a live degree audit of your record. You may also view the core curriculum, track your progress using a Degree Requirement Checklist, and schedule an advising appointment each semester with your academic advisor to discuss your academic plan and ensure you remain on track for graduation.

Q. What should I complete the ILP Milestone 2 requirement?

A. You will complete your second ILP (Inclusive Leaders Pathway) milestone in BA 200. Your BA 200 Canvas site will have information about how to fulfill the requirement. You can also reference the BBA Bulletin, talk with your academic advisor, or reach out to BBAmilestone@umich.edu.

Q. I’d like to take a spring/summer course from somewhere outside UM.  What do I need to know?

A. Current BBA students may request permission from the Ross Registrar’s Office to transfer in up to 9.0 credit hours total in non-business courses from another accredited U.S. institution during their time in the BBA program.  Students must adhere to all transfer credit guidelines.  

Current PA students who will enter the BBA program as Sophomores: You are not held to the 9.0 credit hour limit for transferring coursework from outside UM until you officially matriculate into the BBA program.  Please remember, the BBA program will apply a maximum of 45.0 transferable credits earned prior to the start of the BBA program toward the 120.0 credits required for the BBA degree, even if a student has earned more than this.  Individual courses may be applied to general degree requirements, such as distribution and the 54.0 non-business credit requirement beyond this 45.0 credit hour cap.  

Q. What are the transfer credit guidelines?

A. The below guidelines apply to coursework completed outside of UM-Ann Arbor before or during the BBA program:

  • Only courses with a grade of C or higher are transferable (courses with a grade of C- or below do not transfer).  Grades earned in transfer courses are not averaged into the BBA cumulative grade point average, with the exception of transfer coursework approved from UM-Flint or UM-Dearborn.
  • Courses elected on an optional Pass/Fail grading basis courses must be accompanied by official documentation of a C grade or better.
  • No business coursework is accepted for transfer, with the exception of courses taken at UM-Ann Arbor.
  • Any transfer credit applied to a student’s record will not be removed.
  • Students will be awarded the number of credit hours earned at the other U.S. institution. Note that we use semester credit hours (i.e., 1 quarter hour = 2/3 semester hour).
  • Students may not enroll concurrently with another college or university while enrolled in a regular term at UM Ross School of Business.  Business students are expected to be registered only at UM Ross School of Business during the Fall and Winter terms.
  • Ross will only accept transfer credit that comes from an accredited U.S. school of record.  The only exception to this policy is credit for the equivalent of ECON 102 at the London School of Economics, England, which does not need a U.S. school of record.  You may be interested in taking coursework through various UM programs, but this does not necessarily mean the course will have a U.S. school of record and transfer back to Ross.  Please let your academic advisor know of any transfer course(s) you plan to take so you can confirm if and how the course(s) will transfer.

More detailed information on transfer credit guidelines and the transfer credit process can be found here.

Q. What is the process for transferring a course back to UM?

A. There are a few steps you need to take to confirm the transferability of a course from outside UM, and to make sure the course will be added to your UM record upon completion:

  1. Determine Equivalency: Ross follows the transfer equivalency guidelines set by LSA.  Students are responsible for using the LSA Transfer Equivalency Database to determine if and how their credits may transfer to UM.  If a course has not been previously evaluated by the Office of Undergraduate Admissions, students are responsible for submitting a Transfer Credit Equivalency Request.
  2. Submit a BBA Transfer Credit: Preliminary Evaluation Form: Prior to enrolling in a course, students are responsible for submitting a completed BBA Transfer Credit: Preliminary Evaluation to bbacrediteval@umich.edu, in order to verify that the course is eligible to transfer.
  3. Provide In-Person Verification (Fall 2019 and Earlier): Prior to the Winter 2020 term, certain courses required in-person verification in order to be eligible to transfer. This included all Math, Economics, Chemistry, and Physics courses. In-person verification is met with a syllabus from the course from the semester in which it was taken. This syllabus should be submitted as a PDF file to bbacrediteval@umich.edu prior to the first day of the class. Important: Effective Winter 2020 and beyond, classes taken outside of UM-Ann Arbor that were previously required to be taken in-person in order to be eligible for transfer will be accepted in an online format.
  4. Submit an Official Transcript: Upon completion of the course, students are responsible for having an official transcript sent directly to the Ross Registrar’s Office by the institution at which the course was completed.  The Ross Registrar’s Office requests that you submit an electronic copy of your final transcript, if available, once your final grades have been posted. Electronic transcripts should be sent to bbacrediteval@umich.edu.   If electronic transcripts are not available at your institution, please have hard copy transcripts sent to the following address: 

    University of Michigan
    Office of Undergraduate Admissions
    1220 Student Activities Building
    515 E. Jefferson Street
    Ann Arbor, MI 48109-1316

    Please note – if you send a hard copy transcript to the Office of Undergraduate Admissions, you should receive an email from them once your transcript has been received. Please forward this email to bbacrediteval@umich.edu, so that we can proceed with our final evaluation of your coursework. 

You should schedule an appointment to meet with your academic advisor if you’d like to further discuss transfer credit options. Back

Course Swapping

Q. What is course swapping?

A. Course swapping is the method Ross students use to resolve BBA core course conflicts. It is very important that students reflect on the decision to alter their assigned core schedule since it may impact their section cohort experience and transition to Ross core. Generally, students choose to keep their assigned schedule of courses, swapping sections only if there is a significant need to do so. 

Q. What core classes am I eligible to swap?

A. Students may request to swap any core courses, but please note that the course sections of ACC 300 and TO 301 are linked by section number.  If students wish to swap either ACC 300 or TO 301, they must swap both courses. 

​Q. What do I do if my core class is the same time as another course I need to take?

A. Students may complete the swap request form.  To submit a swap request is to commit to swap and, once a swap has been processed and permissions to enroll in the new section have been entered into Wolverine Access, the commitment to swap is complete and the student must switch sections.  Since the student’s original seat is given to another student during the swap processing, any student wanting back into his/her original section after swaps have been processed will need to submit another swap request.  Please note that, although swap requests are processed regularly, there is no guarantee that a swap request will be processed, and students are encouraged to have a back-up plan in place in consultation with their academic advisor.  The links to the course swap request forms will be posted to the bottom of this page on April 19.

Q. What should I do if I have a documented disability, intercollegiate athletic obligation, official University or religious obligation, or a required course for my dual degree that conflicts with a core class? 

A.  Students who have conflicts with a core class due to a documented disability, intercollegiate athletic obligation, official University or religious obligation, or a required course for a dual degree, are asked to submit a course swap request form and provide a letter from the SSD office or his/her coach, advisor, or religious leader/organization via e-mail to the Ross Registrar’s Office so that they can review and process the necessary schedule adjustments where possible.  

Additional Information for New Cross-Campus and External Transfer Students

Summer Tasks and Options

Q. Do I need to do anything over the summer?

Yes! There are a few items that cross-campus and external transfer students will need to take care of this summer. You will need to officially “accept” your admission to Ross so that the appropriate systems recognize that you are a BBA student. Specific information for how to do this is provided in your acceptance letter. The acceptance deadline is Monday, July 8 at 11:59 p.m. EDT.

External transfer students only: You are required to attend a virtual Ross Transfer Student Academic Advising Day session this summer on July 18 or July 19 and you are are also required to attend an in-person Orientation session on campus on August 8. Please watch your email for more information about this and be sure to register for a session as soon as possible.

Q. Do I need to fill out any paperwork for Ross to “transfer” my prior coursework?

No, unless you are taking coursework outside of UM-Ann Arbor this summer. In that case, be sure to submit a Transfer Credit Preliminary Evaluation form to the Ross Registrar’s Office and request that an official transcript be sent directly to the Ross Registrar’s Office. We request that you submit an electronic copy of your official transcript once your final grades have been posted. Electronic transcripts should be sent to bbacrediteval@umich.edu. If electronic transcripts are not available at your institution, please send a hard copy of your transcript to the following address: University of Michigan, Office of Undergraduate Admissions, 1220 Student Activities Building, 515 E. Jefferson Street, Ann Arbor, MI 48109-1236. If you send a hard copy transcript to the Office of Undergraduate Admissions, you should receive an email from them once your transcript has been received. Please forward this email to bbacrediteval@umich.edu so that we can proceed with our final evaluation of your coursework.

Q. I have completed over 45 credits of coursework. Do I have to tell Ross which of my credits I want to be a part of the 45-credit limit?

No. The Ross Registrar’s Office will process all classes that meet our transfer credit requirement but will cap the total credits toward the 120 minimum needed for graduation at 45. This means that, as long as the courses are accepted by Ross, we will use all classes on your record that fulfill requirements such as distribution.

Q. Can I take courses during the summer? Can I take them outside of UM-Ann Arbor?

Yes. Incoming BBA students can take non-business coursework at any accredited community college of 4-year institution (including UM-Ann Arbor) in the Spring or Summer before starting in Ross. You will need to be aware of the specific rules/policies for transfer credits. Keep in mind that the Ross Registrar’s Office will transfer a maximum of 45 credits toward the BBA program and any spring/summer coursework taken prior to starting the BBA program this Fall is included in that 45-credit cap.

Students taking coursework outside UM-Ann Arbor this Spring/Summer should review the Office of Undergraduate Admissions Course Equivalency database before registering and submit a Transfer Credit Preliminary Evaluation form to the Ross Registrar’s Office for pre-approval. An official transcript should be sent directly to the Ross Registrar’s Office upon completion of the transfer coursework. Note: If your transfer coursework is already in progress, please still submit the Transfer Credit Preliminary Evaluation form for tracking purposes.

Ross generally follows LSA guidelines for which courses/schools will transfer to Michigan, with the exception that they cannot be business courses. ECON 102, while required for our curriculum, is an LSA course, so it may be taken outside UM-Ann Arbor as long as it is completed before the start of your Junior Fall term. The transfer course must be listed as an exact equivalent to ECON 102 at UM (not 102x or departmental credit) in the Course Equivalency Database.

Be advised that once you have officially matriculated into Ross (beginning of the Fall term), you will be allowed to transfer up to 9 additional credits from accredited institutions outside of the University of Michigan-Ann Arbor.

Q. Are there any rules, policies, or preparation materials I need to review over the summer?

Yes. It is each student’s responsibility to review the course registration rules and policies carefully. There may be preparation materials or tasks for your core courses. Information will be posted on Canvas as it is released and communicated to you from the Office of Undergraduate Programs.

Fall Schedule

Q. What happens to the Fall classes for which I’m already registered?

. For cross-campus transfer students: The coursework you have scheduled for Fall will be moved from your prior school (e.g., LSA, Engineering, etc.) to Ross by mid-summer. This is also when you will be enrolled into your BBA core courses. Once this process is complete, you may need to adjust your schedule. You will be notified when your courses have been moved so you can begin making adjustments. Once notified, you should see all of your courses under your Business Administration career in Wolverine Access. Please do not make any changes prior to that time unless specifically instructed to do so by the Office of the Registrar or the Ross Registrar’s Office. The process for resolving conflicts with any Ross core courses is listed above under Course Swapping.

For external transfer students: You will register for your Fall term classes during your virtual Ross Transfer Academic Advising Day session on July 18 or 19.

Q. What should I do if I am registered for too many credits?

A. For cross-campus transfer students: Since you will be pre-enrolled into 10 credits of BBA core courses, in addition to your previous Fall class selections, you may temporarily have a Fall course load exceeding 18 credits. Since BBA students are not permitted to take more than 18 credits in a term (and most will average the recommended 12-15 credits per term), you will need to adjust your course load by dropping some non-BBA courses from your schedule. You may not drop your core BBA classes.

For external transfer students: You will register for your Fall term classes during your Ross Transfer Academic Advising Day session this summer and you will not be permitted to register for more than 18 credits.