Rising Junior BBAs, Class of 2026: Registration Information for Fall 2024

As you prepare for registration, we expect you will schedule an appointment with your academic advisor to discuss your academic goals and plan for Fall 2024, and to ensure you are meeting degree requirements.  Be sure to review all of the information below carefully! For quick reference, here is the list of Fall 2024 business electives.

A “Success in Your Junior Year” presentation was held on Friday, March 29. This event was designed to help you learn about the Junior Fall term and the Ross Integrative Semester (RIS). Students heard from Academic Advising, Career Development, the Ross Integrative Semester Coordinator, and current seniors sharing their experiences and advice. Students also learned about Junior Fall semester expectations, balancing internship recruiting, and recommendations on how to best prepare for success inside and outside the classroom. A recording of this event can be accessed here.

Registration Planning: Get Ready

General registration will open on Monday, April 8 for undergraduates, but the University catalog and schedule of classes for Fall 2024 is available now!  Be sure to review the schedule and the information below before registration opens.

Q. When should I take Econ 102?

A. ECON 102 must be completed BEFORE you begin your Junior Fall term.  If you have not yet completed this requirement, you should talk with your academic advisor now about options for completing this course during the summer months. Please note: Students are eligible to transfer approved ECON 102 credit from another institution, in accordance with all transfer credit policies. Check with your academic advisor and be sure to submit the transfer credit pre-evaluation form prior to enrolling in any spring/summer classes, to ensure the course is conforming to all transfer credit polices. Failure to complete ECON 102 before you begin your Junior Fall term will result in you not being able to proceed into your Ross core courses for that term.

Q. How do I find out which courses are being offered and when?

A.  As of early March, you’ll be able to view the full University schedule (including Ross and non-Ross courses) on Wolverine Access, or via the Office of the Registrar. Also refer to the LSA Course Guide if you are looking for courses to fulfill distribution.

Q. I want to have a “concentration.” Which business electives do I need to take?

A. Remember that Ross does not have official concentrations or majors. As a BBA, you are required to take a minimum of 61.0 credits of Ross coursework (including business electives and the required fixed core, floating core, and your business capstone).  You have the flexibility to select the electives that will best fit your interests and goals.

Q. When should I complete the ILP Milestone 3 requirement?

A. You will complete your ILP Milestone as part of RIS. Your RIS Canvas site will have information about how to fulfill the requirement. You can also reference the BBA Bulletin, talk with your academic advisor, or reach out to BBAmilestone@umich.edu.

Q. How can I learn more about elective options?

A. The Elective Options page is a valuable resource for learning more about courses you are considering, and includes links to course descriptions, syllabi archives, information published by the academic departments, and course evaluations.  A list of business electives for Fall 2024 can be found here – please note that course offerings are subject to change so the list may be updated periodically.

Q.  What other academic opportunities can I explore?

A. Ross BBA students may study abroad through Ross Global Initiatives and CGIS, participate in the Carson Scholars Washington Campus Program, become involved in Center for Positive Organizations Programs, develop leadership skills through Sanger Leadership Center immersions and communities, compete in case competitions, and become involved in clubs and organizations.

More information on how different study abroad opportunities may affect your registration can be found here.

Q. Does Ross offer any Spring term courses?

A. Yes.  You can check the course catalog on Wolverine Access for Spring term course offerings.  The Ross “Maymester” term is an abbreviated Spring term, running May 7 through May 31, 2024, whereby rising Juniors and Seniors can take a Ross business course.  The course available during Maymester 2024 is BE 300 (3.0 credits). More information on Maymester classes can be found here.

Q. I’d like to take a spring/summer course from somewhere outside UM.  What do I need to know?

A. Current BBA students in good academic standing may request permission from the Ross Registrar’s Office to transfer in up to 9.0 credit hours total in non-business courses from another accredited U.S. institution during their time in the BBA program.  Students must adhere to all transfer credit guidelines.

Q. What are the transfer credit guidelines?

A. The below guidelines apply to coursework completed outside of UM-Ann Arbor before or during the BBA program:

  • Only courses with a grade of C or higher are transferable (courses with a grade of C- or below do not transfer).  Grades earned in transfer courses are not averaged into the BBA cumulative grade point average.
  • Courses elected on an optional Pass/Fail grading basis courses must be accompanied by official documentation of a C grade or better.
  • No business coursework is accepted for transfer, with the exception of courses taken at UM-Ann Arbor.
  • Any transfer credit applied to a student’s record will not be removed.
  • Students will be awarded the number of credit hours earned at the other U.S. institution. Note that we use semester credit hours (i.e., 1 quarter hour = 2/3 semester hour).
  • Students may not enroll concurrently with another college or university while enrolled in a regular term at UM Ross School of Business.  Business students are expected to be registered only at UM Ross School of Business during the Fall and Winter terms.
  • Ross will only accept transfer credit that comes from an accredited U.S. school of record.  The only exception to this policy is credit for the equivalent of ECON 102 at the London School of Economics, England, which does not need a U.S. school of record.  You may be interested in taking coursework through various UM programs, but this does not necessarily mean the course will have a U.S. school of record and transfer back to Ross.  Please let your academic advisor know of any transfer course(s) you plan to take so you can confirm if and how the course(s) will transfer.

More detailed information on transfer credit guidelines and the transfer credit process can be found here.

Q. What is the process for transferring a course back to UM?

A. There are a few steps you need to take to confirm the transferability of a course from outside UM, and to make sure the course will be added to your UM record upon completion:

  1. Determine Equivalency: Ross follows the transfer equivalency guidelines set by LSA.  Students are responsible for using the LSA Transfer Equivalency Database to determine if and how their credits may transfer to UM.  If a course has not been previously evaluated by the Office of Undergraduate Admissions, students are responsible for submitting a Transfer Credit Equivalency Request.
  2. Submit a BBA Transfer Credit: Preliminary Evaluation Form: Prior to enrolling in a course, students are responsible for submitting a completed BBA Transfer Credit: Preliminary Evaluation to bbacrediteval@umich.edu, in order to verify that the course is eligible to transfer.
  3. Provide In-Person Verification (Fall 2019 and Earlier): Prior to the Winter 2020 term, certain courses required in-person verification in order to be eligible to transfer. This included all Math, Economics, Chemistry, and Physics courses. In-person verification is met with a syllabus from the course from the semester in which it was taken. This syllabus should be submitted as a PDF file to bbacrediteval@umich.edu prior to the first day of the class. Important: Effective Winter 2020 and beyond, classes taken outside of UM-Ann Arbor that were previously required to be taken in-person in order to be eligible for transfer will be accepted in an online format.
  4. Submit an Official Transcript: Upon completion of the course, students are responsible for having an official transcript sent directly to the Ross Registrar’s Office by the institution at which the course was completed.  The Ross Registrar’s Office requests that you submit an electronic copy of your final transcript, if available, once your final grades have been posted. Electronic transcripts should be sent to bbacrediteval@umich.edu.If electronic transcripts are not available at your institution, please have hard copy transcripts sent to the following address:

    University of Michigan
    Office of Undergraduate Admissions
    1220 Student Activities Building
    515 E. Jefferson Street
    Ann Arbor, MI 48109-1316  

    Please note – if you send a hard copy transcript to the Office of Undergraduate Admissions, you should receive an email from them once your transcript has been received. Please forward this email to bbacrediteval@umich.edu, so that we can proceed with our final evaluation of your coursework.

You should schedule an appointment to meet with your academic advisor if you’d like to further discuss transfer credit options.

Core Requirements: Get Set 

The Ross Registrar’s Office will enroll BBAs into their required Fall BBA core prior to the beginning of registration. It is YOUR responsibility to make sure you are registering for and completing the appropriate requirements (e.g., distribution, floating core, business electives, etc.) outside of the BBA core.

Q. How do I know which degree requirements I have or haven’t completed?

A. Review the core curriculum. You can track your progress using the Degree Requirements Checklist and access a degree audit of your record under “Academic Requirements” in your Student Center on Wolverine Access. Be sure to schedule an appointment with your academic advisor periodically to discuss your academic plan and ensure you are on track for graduation. Dual degree students will need to schedule a “BBA Dual Degree Advising/Issues” appointment with their advisor.

Q. Which core courses will the Ross Registrar’s Office enroll me into for the Fall term?

A. The Ross Registrar’s Office will enroll Rising Junior BBA students into the following 10.5 credits of core courses:

  • BCOM 350: Professional Communication Strategies (1.5 credits)
  • BL 300: Business Law and Ethics (3 credits)
  • MO 300: Behavioral Theory in Management (3 credits)
  • TO 313: Operations Management (3 credits)

Q. Is it true that I can waive my BE 300 floating core course?

A. Possibly.  If you have successfully completed ECON 401 at UM-Ann Arbor with a final grade of A- or higher, you can request to waive the BE 300 floating core requirement. To make such a request, you must complete and submit the BE 300 Core Course Waiver form to the Ross Registrar’s Office (rossregistrarsoffice@umich.eduby the end of your Junior Winter term.  Please note: this waiver signifies that you have met competency in the material and does not grant credit. Therefore, if you waive BE 300, you will need to complete additional business coursework to earn the 58.0 credits required for the BBA degree. If you have any questions about this waiver option and/or your remaining degree requirements, please contact your academic advisor.

General Registration: Go!

After the Ross Registrar’s Office enrolls you in your 10.5 credits of core with your section, you will use the general registration process on Wolverine Access to register for the remainder of your Fall schedule.

Q. When is my registration appointment time?

A. The University assigns registration appointment times for undergraduate students beginning on Monday, April 8. The times are determined by the credits completed, and then are randomly assigned. You can view your assigned time on Wolverine Access starting Wednesday, March 27.

Q. Do I need to use the backpack feature on Wolverine Access before registration opens?

A. We recommend using it, but it is not required. Beginning Wednesday, March 27 at 9 AM, you can add classes to your “Backpack” in Wolverine Access. Backpacking courses allows you to quickly add those classes all at once when your registration appointment time opens. However, be aware that backpacking does not reserve a seat for you in the class – it is simply a way to put the course in your “shopping cart” so that you can “check-out” quickly. If a class in your backpack is full when your registration time opens, you may waitlist yourself, and/or select an alternate open class at that time.

Q. Do I have to register exactly at my appointment time, and when does my registration close?

A. Some classes will fill quickly, or seats may be opened to non-Ross students after registration has been open for a week or more, so it is to your advantage to register when your appointment time opens. Once your appointment time opens, you can continue to make changes until the drop/add deadlines for Fall 2024.


Q. Which courses and sections of my core courses am I eligible to swap?

A. The Fall term of Junior year integrates four core courses in which a significant portion of each course will rely and build upon the other subjects and may include joint events and shared projects. To fully maximize the learning experience in these integrated courses, students are strongly encouraged to remain in their assigned sections. However, we recognize that some students may need to swap sections in order to accommodate dual degrees and minors. Note that course sections are linked and cannot be separated. Students requesting a course swap for BL 300, MO 300, or TO 313 must swap all 4 courses. If a student only wants to swap BCOM 350, they must swap into a section that corresponds to their other core course sections.  The chart below (updated on 3/28/24) shows which BCOM 350 sections correspond with each core course section.

ris chart

Q. I need to swap a course. What do I do next?

A. Students who would like to swap a course will need to complete and submit the Core Course Swap Request Form. This form will ask you to indicate which sections of a course will work in your schedule. We will match requests one to one on a first-come, first-serve basis, conditional on availability of a match. The more sections you indicate as working in your schedule, the more likely your swap will be completed.

To submit a swap request is to commit to swap and, once a swap has been processed and permissions to enroll in the new section have been entered into Wolverine Access, the commitment to swap is complete and the student must switch sections.  Since the student’s original seat is given to another student during the swap processing, any student wanting back into his/her original section after swaps have been processed will need to submit another swap request.  Please note that, although swap requests are processed regularly, there is no guarantee that a swap request will be processed, and students are encouraged to have a back-up plan in place in consultation with their academic advisor.

Q. How long will it take to complete the swap? How long do I have to submit the form?

A. This depends on the number of swap requests received, as well as whether or not there are eligible swap partners in the pool.  The link to the course swap request form will be posted at the bottom of this page on April 19.

Q. What should I do if I have a documented disability, intercollegiate athletic obligation, official University or religious obligation, or a required course for my dual degree that conflicts with a core class?

A. Students who have conflicts with a core class due to a documented disability, intercollegiate athletic obligation, official University or religious obligation, or a required course for a dual degree, are asked to submit a course swap request form and provide a letter from the SSD office or his/her coach, advisor, or religious leader/organization via email to the Ross Registrar’s Office (rossregistrarsoffice@umich.edu) so that we can review and process the necessary schedule adjustments where possible.

Important Rules and Policies: What You Need to Know 

It is each student’s responsibility to review the course registration rules and policies carefully.

Q. What are some resources to help me be successful in my Junior year?

A. We have compiled the below resources that we hope you will find helpful:

Read “Ross Reflections: Navigating the Ross Integrative Semester” by Alexa Tran, BBA ’21

Plan your career search:

Take care of your mental health and well-being:

Q. I still have questions. Is there someone I can talk to?

A.  If you have questions regarding course selection or degree requirements, please schedule an appointment with your academic advisor through our academic advising appointment system. Academic advisors are also holding virtual drop-in hours during the Winter semester, Monday-Friday from 2-3:30 PM. You will be able to talk privately with an advisor for up to 15 minutes.  Please review this page for information on how to join the drop-in advising queue.

You can also speak with one of the Ross Academic Peer Advisors during their drop-in hours.

For assistance with forms and letter requests, permissions, registration troubleshooting, and other processes, please visit our help guide or contact the Ross Registrar’s Office via email (rossregistrarsoffice@umich.edu).