BBA Minors

  1. What do I need to know?
  2. How do I declare a minor?
  3. What do I do after my minor is declared?
  4. How to communicate with the Ross Registrar’s Office

BBA students may pursue academic minors from other units within the University of Michigan-Ann Arbor, including many of the minors offered by the College of Literature, Science, & the Arts (LSA), the Penny W. Stamps School of Art & Design, the College of Engineering, the School of Music, Theatre, & Dance, the School of Social Work, and the Taubman College of Architecture & Urban Planning.  Interested in Supplemental Studies instead?  Learn about special programs through the School of Public Health, and the Ford School of Public Policy here.

I.  What do I need to know if I am interested in a minor?

A variety of academic minors are offered throughout the University; however, only those approved for BBA students may be selected:

Individually designed academic minors are not allowed.  Students may complete more than one minor as long as they are not in the same department or program. Credit sharing: students pursuing an academic minor may share a maximum of 3.0* credits of the 58.0 credits of business courses needed to meet BBA degree requirements toward the requirements of the academic minor.  Students pursuing both dual degrees and an academic minor may share a maximum of 12.0 credits of the 58.0 credits of business courses needed to meet BBA degree requirements toward the requirements of the non-business major and minor (maximum 9.0 credits shared with major and maximum 3.0 credits shared with minor). 

*Effective Fall 2016, BBA students may pursue the Entrepreneurship minor. Students pursuing this minor may share a maximum of 6.0 credits between the minor requirements and the 58.0 business credits needed to meet BBA degree requirements.  This is the sole exception to the aforementioned policy of sharing 3.0 credits between the major and minor.  Students pursuing a minor should consult with their academic advisor for specific policies within their academic minor.

BBA students declaring minors will not be eligible for graduation until they have completed the requirements for both their BBA degree and their minor.  Although the minor is based within another School or College, no other additional requirements for their degrees have to be met.  For example, LSA minors do not require ULWR, QR, R&E or area distribution.

II.  How do I declare a minor?

Once you have identified a minor that interests you:

  1. Talk to an advisor:

    • Meet with an advisor in your desired minor discipline and request assistance with:

      • Deciding whether the minor is a good fit with your personal and professional goals.

      • Identifying the applicable requirements, and determining which you may have already completed and those you still have to take.

      • Mapping out a plan for completing your remaining minor requirements, keeping in mind that you must work around your BBA degree requirements.

  2. Declare your minor:

    Ask your advisor to submit the LSA Minor Declaration Form directly to the Ross Registrar’s Office (see below for details).  All minors must be declared prior to the end of your last term.
    • The University cannot and will not recognize your minor until you have officially declared the minor with the appropriate department AND Ross has received the declaration notice and updated your record.

    • How can you tell if Ross has updated your record?  Check your Degree Audit in Wolverine Access- if your minor is in the system, you will be able to view it on your audit.  If you do not see your minor, then the University does NOT have complete record of it and we cannot recognize it on your transcript.

    • Both minor declaration AND minor release (see below) must occur before the end of your final term.

III.  What do I do after my minor is declared?

  1. Review your academic record

    • A few weeks after your minor declaration paperwork has been submitted to the Ross Registrar’s Office, review your academic record on Wolverine Access to confirm that your minor has been posted.

  1. Track your progress

    • Make sure that you register for all courses that are needed to fulfill your minor requirements.  Consult with your minor advisor as needed to verify your progress.

  1. Document any exceptions

    • An exception to a minor requirement that is approved by your minor advisor must be stated on the Concentration/Minor Declaration Form or on the LSA Minor Release Form before graduation.

  2. Certify completion of minor

    • Students with declared minors will not be approved for graduation until their minors are certified, or documented, as being complete.  Ask your minor advisor to submit the LSA Academic Minor Release Form (see below for details) stating that you are on track to complete or have completed all minor requirements prior to your anticipated graduation date.

    • Failure to submit this form may delay graduation.

III.  How to communicate with the Ross Registrar’s Office

Minor declarations, documentation of exceptions, and certification of minor completions can be handled by your minor advisor in one of the two following ways:

  • Automated LSA web-based system (preferred method)
  • Hard copy form (delivered to K3521)

It is the student’s responsibility, and not that of the minor department/advisor, to ensure the appropriate documentation is submitted to the Ross Registrar’s Office.

Other Questions?

BBA students may contact the Ross Registrar’s Office at with questions.